Mitglied wählen
Freunde
Suche
What languages do/did you learn (at school)?
Autor Nachricht
Tejay
Assistent Thorsten Janke
Bochum
Deutschland . NW

Link zum Beitrag #9873 Verfasst am Montag, 08. September 2003 22:11
Themenersteller
Relax
While being in Madrid I was surprised to learn, that it is not very common at schools to teach English as a foreign language to students. If you want to get to know speaking English you must rely on own resources or invest into an additional learning practice.

So what languages do you speak?
What is your practice?
Where did you learn that language?
For what reason did you learn that language?

Never start questions witout answering them yourself.

I had English as my first foreign language at school. I attended classes from grade 5 till the end grade 13. English became one my so called "Leistungskurse" which means an intesification concerning the volume of hours (6 hours per week).
From grade 7 on I had to choose between Latin and French. I decided to learn French because it seemed to me more interesting to get to know a "living" language, which could be used during travelling the world or in this case "le monde". At the end of grade 10 I gave up learning French after 4 consecutive years.
At grade 11 I thougth it was time to learn something new, so I started learning Italian at school, after half a year the teacher changed and it became an old bitter lady, so I decided to drop that classes in future times.
Three years ago I started learning Spanish after having made my first vacation to the Island of Gran Canaria. I did two basic courses at the local school for grown-ups with two lessons per week for three months.

So what is your language horizon? Did you think that your hobby had an effect on learning English?
Back to the Roots: Mpgfanboy70
Corny
Einsteiger a

Afghanistan

Link zum Beitrag #9875 Verfasst am Montag, 08. September 2003 22:20 Relax
Just like Tejay, I also learned English at school as my first foreign language. But it was not one of my "Leistungskurs" subjects.
Since I study computer science, and use the Internet very much, I have to read English texts very often - sometimes I don't even think about whether a text is written in English or in German I just read it. S
I also found it to be very useful on my trip to scandinavia last year - looks like schools over there also teach English as a foreigh language as they do in Germany - it was no problem totalk with people from Denmark or Sweden in English.

At school, I also learned Russian from grade 7 until the end of grade 10 - the main reason was that I didn't like the Teacher who would have taught French for my class... But I forgot almost all of it by now - but I still now how to read cyrillic letters.

Maybe one day I have the time to learn Spanish, I don't know why, but that's a language I'd like to speak... S
Tejay
Assistent Thorsten Janke
Bochum
Deutschland . NW

Link zum Beitrag #9878 Verfasst am Montag, 08. September 2003 22:25
Themenersteller
Relax
Hi Corny,

so these letters will do you no harm?
Zitat but I still now how to read cyrillic letters.

Fremdbild
Quelle: germancoaster.de bulgarien-primorski-park03.jpg

Good to know.
If you have to know a word in Spanish, don't hesitate to ask.
Corny
Einsteiger a

Afghanistan

Link zum Beitrag #9879 Verfasst am Montag, 08. September 2003 22:32 Relax
Hi Tejay,

seeing these letters, I can tell what it would probably be pronounced like, or how you could write it with our letters. Some words I can also guess their meaning, because they are similar to words in other languages I know, for example the second word in the first line of text is "park" - Does anybody have an idea what this could mean? S
Twin
Aufsteiger Thomas

Deutschland . NW

Link zum Beitrag #9880 Verfasst am Montag, 08. September 2003 22:37 Relax
Cornholio Maybe one day I have the time to learn Spanish, I don't know why, but that's a language I'd like to speak... S

It`s not a good idea to learn Spanish S because it`s difficult. Since last year when i started business college (in german "höhere handelschule") i had to learn it! I don`t have problems with the english speech (of course i`m not the best) but the spanish speech... like i said it`s really difficult.

Greetings
Twin
Nun, jeder hat sein Los, und leicht ist keines.
Tejay
Assistent Thorsten Janke
Bochum
Deutschland . NW

Link zum Beitrag #9882 Verfasst am Montag, 08. September 2003 22:46
Themenersteller
Relax
Holá Twin,

Zitat but the spanish speech... like i said it`s really difficult.

We'll try. Here is what we have learned in Spain:
Razibo will be spoken "Rasssibo"
Tejay will be spoken "Techai"
Gero will be spoken "Chero"
Timerix will be spoken "Timeriks"

Not that difficult. Depends on your teacher. S
Twin
Aufsteiger Thomas

Deutschland . NW

Link zum Beitrag #9885 Verfasst am Montag, 08. September 2003 22:57 Relax
Tejay
We'll try. Here is what we have learned in Spain:
Razibo will be spoken "Rasssibo"
Tejay will be spoken "Techai"
Gero will be spoken "Chero"
Timerix will be spoken "Timeriks"

Ok thats not difficult! S

but you are right my spanish teacher.... i don`t say it loud !!! S

Everybody should try it if it`s in his interest and maybe other persons don`t have such problems like me.

Greetings
Twin
Nun, jeder hat sein Los, und leicht ist keines.
MilitaryDuckJock
Einsteiger Iain Hendry
Kitchener-Waterl...
Kanada

Link zum Beitrag #9890 Verfasst am Montag, 08. September 2003 23:23 Relax
Well, in Canada, we are taught French from about Grade 3 to Grade 9. From there, it's optional. I took French from Grade 3 to Grade 10, but after that I had a hard time with it (low marks) and gave up. I wish I'd somehow continued it though, as someday, I'd really like to live in Quebec (Montreal, more specifically, and drive Metro trains for the STM... but that's another, and long, story).

Since Canada is officially Bilingual English and French, French is the language taught to us in Elementary school. Other lanaguages aren't taught until you get to University or College.

For students who are transitioning into the Canadian lifestyle from other countries, most schools now have courses called ESL (English as a Second Language), which teach them how to speak English if they're coming from countries where they never learned it. This is useful espically in Toronto, which is the most multicultural city in the world.

I really wish I could speak Dutch, I love the way it sounds and would increase the chance of me geting a job at Mondial (if only by a fraction of a percent S). I love the Icelandic sound (I'm a huge fan of Bjork), and also Chinese. But I don't have the patience to learn them.

So I guess I'll stick with my muddled French. Je dit seulment le francais qui je parle avec les Quebecois un peut.

S

-Iain
Wheels: 2006 smart fortwo cdi + Cagliari G1A
rcmania
Aufsteiger

Deutschland . BB

Link zum Beitrag #9895 Verfasst am Dienstag, 09. September 2003 05:53 Relax
My first English lesson was in grade 5.
I still like this language, because it's the easiest among the languages I learn.

In grade 7 we had to decide : French or Latin ?
For me, the question was easy to answer, because I'm much better in languages than in sciences.
And so I chose Latin.
I guess, this was the biggest mistake in my life S !
In the first 2 years, the most important years in Latin, we had a teacher who was a dork :
He couldn't explain things properly, he didn't look that we learn the words and he also just "forgot" to explain you things..
Now we have the opposite :
The new teacher is very severe : e.g.
he punishes you when you can't translate 2 of the words you had to learn for homework.
And now, we're a mix from 2 classes :
my part had that dork in class 7+8, the other part had already had that severe teacher in 7+8.
That often brings problems :
"So, student X (from my part), explain to me, what "imperfect decornatu" is !"
Student X doesn't know it because we just didn't learn that.
But the OTHER part knew !!!

However, I took French in class 9 because otherwise I would have to do science.
French is heavier than I'd thought !

To say it shorter :
English is easy, Latin is useful, but difficult, and French is also not easy...
[Ég vildi bara kaupa eina gúrku, ekki alla búðina.]
[Can you pronounce "Þingvellir"?]
Parsons
Einsteiger Antonio Beltrán
Madrid
Spanien

Link zum Beitrag #10623 Verfasst am Dienstag, 16. September 2003 11:37 Relax
You´re on right...on Spain...if you want to learn any other language you must go to a private academy...

My second language always was English...but the level was very very basic...they never learn you very much... (I was saying "What is your name?" and "How old are you?"...or using the auxiliar "Do/Does" for three years...). On Institute, they learn to me how to build sentences (...0 phonetic...). On Spain...in my time (near Neolithic.. S S ) when you are on Secondary (B.U.P. -Bachillerato Unificado Polivalente-) they gave more important to other subjects (Physics, Chemistry, History, Maths, Art, Literature, LATIN!!!...). Actually, it is similar...only change some "obligatory subjects" (like Latin) to "optional subjects", but "English" continues at the same level.

So...if you want to speak/read english...you must go to a private academy (...paying money, of course...)...or go to other country that speaks the language you want to learn...(I know I know...my favourite language is...Swahili!!!!...so...on a few years...to Africa...with Tarzan and Cheetah to learn it...)
Nächster neuer Beitrag in diesem Forum Nächster neuer Beitrag